-- 2016-2017 SEOTY WINNERS --
-- 2015-2016 SEOTY WINNERS --
-- 2014-2015 SEOTY WINNERS --
2018 Winner Regional & National Winner
Colorado State University
Tom was recognized by his supervisor, Lindsay Mason, as an outstanding student employee.† Specifically, for his ability to problem solve creatively within his work with RamRide, CSUís safe ride home service. Some of Tomís highlighted work with RamRide includes coding a program to estimate wait times, improving inefficiencies within the system, and increasing engagement through an anonymous rating system.† WASEA would like to extend a heartfelt congratulations to Tom for his dedication and service as a student employee!
Please read the full article, provided by CSU, to learn more about Tom, CSUís Off-Campus Life appreciation ceremony, and to see the presentation of Tomís award.
National Student Employment Week
April 14-20, 2019
The National Student Employment Association (NSEA) has declared that the second complete week in April each year be set aside to recognize the value of student employees. As a part of the recognition of student employees, NSEA coordinates a selection process and chooses the National Student Employee of the Year. Each region submits a name to NSEA for consideration. The NSEA winner receives a $1,000 cash award! Below is additional information for participating at the regional level.
In order to be eligible to participate in the regional competition, your institution has to be a paid member of WASEA or NSEA. If your student is selected as the WASEA winner, your institution must be a member of NSEA in order for your student to be considered for the national award.
Student nominees must have completed or will expect to complete, at least three (3) months full-time or six (6) months part-time employment during this academic year, June 1, 2018 to May 30, 2019. Students may be paid by work study funds or institutional funds; they can be undergraduate or graduate level as well.
Nominations will be judged on the following characteristics: reliability, quality of work, initiative, professionalism, and the uniqueness of the student's contribution to the employer.
- by December 1, 2018
- Regional Coordinators distribute announcement and application materials to their members and NSEA members in their region.
- February 17, 2019
- SEOTY nominations are due to the campus Student Employment office.
- March 1, 2019
- Notifications of campus winners are due to the Regional SEOTY Coordinators.
- March 22, 2019
- Regional SEOTY Coordinators submit the regional winners to the NSEA VP of Administrative Services.
- March 27 - March 31, 2019
- National Student Employee of the Year is selected and winner's school is notified by the NSEA President.
- April 14 - April 20, 2019
- National Student Employment Week observed.
- National SEOTY winner announced and runner-up finalists notified.
- National SEOTY award is presented at winner's campus.
- Send the Nomination Form with a cover memo explaining the competition to your campus employers as soon as possible. Set a nomination deadline such that your selection committee can notify your WASEA state liaison of your selected winner by March 1, 2019. Suggested campus deadline is February 17, 2019.
- Appoint a selection committee to review the submitted nominations.
- Utilize these forms to Rank and Tabulate your nominations.
- Submit the Institutional Selection Form and the Nomination Form of your winner to your State Liaison by March 1, 2019. If your state does not currently have a liaison, please submit your nominations directly to the VP of Conferences & Awards (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Call for nominations - publicize the competition widely, put it in your campus newspaper, send flyers to all departments, announce on your campus homepage and any departmental listserv.
- Selection committee - be certain it's more than just faculty and administrators. Include clerical staff and one or two students (undergrad or grad). The committee should total an odd number to avoid ties when voting (five, seven, or nine members is recommended).
- Promote the competition by posting pictures of nominees around campus as they are received, put articles in campus paper, on homepage, and listserv.
- Selection criteria - have some mechanism to consider all students equally and not give too much consideration to complex job descriptions or longevity of service.
- Award presentation - have a meal function with top administrators, students' families, and students' supervisors, even local and state legislators present. Allow time for pictures of all nominees with school president (or whoever is presenting). Be sure to invite media (print and broadcast) to cover the event. Have state government issue a proclamation.
- Prizes - arrange for cash scholarship, tuition waiver, or bookstore certificate for winner. Have trophies, plaques, or certificates for all nominees.
- Hold your recognition event during National Student Employment Week.
Contact the WASEA VP of Conferences & Awards with any questions you have regarding the SEOTY process.
La Sierra University
4500 Riverwalk Pkwy
Riverside, CA 92505